What it is:
Preschool Promise is a new State investment in publicly funded preschool. It funds more high-quality preschool options for families who haven’t had them before.
Why it’s important:
Low-income children and children of color are less likely to have the chance to attend a high-quality preschool—so they’re often less prepared for success in school and life. That’s why ELM invests Preschool Promise funds in programs that serve children of color, implement culturally relevant practices, and prioritize family engagement.
How it works:
ELM is working with culturally relevant providers in a variety of settings, including schools, child care programs, and Head Starts to offer local, high-quality preschool to families. In all, there are 214 new preschool openings in Multnomah County. The new openings will be available to:
- Low-income families and families of color living at or below 200% FPL
- Families with children ages three and four
- Children currently on waiting lists for other publicly funded preschool options
- Families served by DHS (TANF and child welfare)
ELM is one of five applicants (eight hubs total) to receive funds and support from the State of Oregon in 2016/2017. In summer of 2016, ELM selected providers and helped them get set up for success in their first year as a Preschool Promise site.
The new preschool slots open to families in fall 2018. ELM will collaborate with the three other early learning hubs to maximize learning and impact across the northwest region.
These selected sites are receiving funding in the 2017/2018 school year:
- Amazing Minds Learning Center, Gresham
- CAIRO Academy, SE Portland
- Mill Park Elementary School, David Douglas School District
- Mt. Hood Community College Head Start, North Powellhurst School
- Neighborhood House, Inc. Head Start, West Portland
- Shaver Elementary School, Parkrose School District
- Faubion Elementary School, Portland Public Schools
- Lewis & Clark Montessori Charter School at Alder Elementary School, Reynolds School District
- Village Child Care Enterprises, North Portland